While you already know to arrange for mail and other deliveries to be held while you are on vacation, the following additional tips will assist in deterring burglary year round. Contact your Box Insurance Agency agent for additional tips, especially those that may provide you discount on your homeowner’s policy. Box is the foremost Insurance Company in Grapevine for all your insurance needs.
Upgrade Your Locks
When choosing locks for your exterior doors, you need to be aware of those graded by the American National Standards Institute (ANSI), and the Builders Hardware Manufacturers Association (BHMA). Product grades can range from Grade 1 through Grade 3, with Grade 1 being the highest quality in function and integrity. The National Crime Prevention Council recommends choosing no less than a Grade 2 deadbolt lock, with a cylinder that extends a minimum of one inch into the door frame. If you install deadbolts, and previously had conventional latch locks, contact your insurance company in Grapevine, you may qualify for a discount.
Additional tips to increase your door security are to install strike plates with three-inch screws for added protection against a forced entry.
Reinforcement kits are also available, and can be retrofit to reinforce key strike points (hinges, strike, and the door edge). Reinforcement plates install with 3-inch screws for added protection of the strike and hinges. Reinforcement adds significant strength to the door system.
Consider installing a solid core or steel door for all entrances with a wide-angle 160o peephole. Furthermore, use a blocking device in sliding glass doors. Thieves will pry the door up and out of the track. Anti-lift devices such as through-the-door pins or upper track screws can prevent this.
A final tip for glass is to consider hurricane glass, or lower cost window film developed to deter breakage with impact.
Contact an agent with your insurance company in Grapevine to discuss your existing insurance coverage, or call us for free insurance quotes. Ensure you notify your insurance company in Grapevine of added security, you may qualify for a discount.
Don’t Advertise Purchases
Don’t place empty electronic boxes outside the garbage container. It informs thieves what you have inside your home. Break the boxes down so they fit completely inside the recycling or garbage container.
Keep Valuables Out of Sight
Don’t leave computers, TVs, game systems or other valuables where they are visible from windows or doors when you are away. Hanging curtains or blinds will prevent potential burglars from viewing what you have inside your home. Develop the habit of closing drapes at least a month before your vacation. Otherwise, thieves will notice blinds normally open are remaining closed, and take it as a signal that you are away.
In addition, keep a record of the make, model, and serial number for each of your electronic devices. If your home is burglarized, the police may be able to use the information to help recover your belongings, and to identify any recovered goods. An inventory record is also essential in the event that you need to file a claim with your insurance company in Grapevine.
Box insurance company in Grapevine recommends you maintain a current inventory of your home’s contents, with receipts, a description and photographs in the event of a claim, and leave a copy in a safety deposit box. Without it, filing an insurance claim may be more difficult. For additional information, contact an agent with your insurance company in Grapevine.
Lock up when you’re home, and don’t forget to lock the windows and garage doors. In addition, lock up the interior door between your home and an attached garage for an extra level of security.
Vary Your Schedule
Thieves typically watch your home before attempting a robbery. If you are a person of routine habit, for example, always grocery shopping on Friday mornings, church on Sunday at noon, and a movie on Saturday nights, vary your schedule to interrupt the predictability. Go to church on Sunday nights occasionally, buy groceries during the week every now and then, and take in a Sunday afternoon matinee. Burglars will find your home less attractive if they are unable to predict your schedule.
Tips for When You’re Away
- Ask a reliable friend or relative to house sit while you’re away.
- Never leave a key outside, a thief will find it. Leave a key with a trusted neighbor, friend, or relative and ask them to check on the house while you are away.
- Ask a reliable neighbor or friend to pick up mail, or have the post office to hold it until you return.
- Place newspapers or other routine delivery on hold until your return.
- Place lighting on a timer to mimic your routine schedule. Lighting creates the illusion a home is occupied.
- Arrange to have the lawn mowed if you will be away for more than a week.
- Outdoor lighting is an essential element in home security. Exterior lighting should illuminate 100 feet. If your outdoor lighting is not motion sensor activated, replace it. Leaving an outdoor light on day and night that is not normally on, is a red flag to burglars that you are away.
- Forward calls to a cell phone.
- Don’t post your vacation plans on social media. In addition, don’t even post on the media until your return, because the location you posted from will be displayed.
- Check window latches a week or two before you leave, providing enough time to replace broken latches.
- An alarm system is a wise investment, and may provide a discount on your homeowners insurance. Contact your insurance company in Grapevine to learn how can save with a home security system. Magnetic alarms provide a low cost alternative for vulnerable doors and windows and often frighten thieves away. They can be purchased for a $1 at the 99-cent stores when available.
Utilizing these tips will assist you in deterring burglary year round. Box Insurance Agency can insure you have the coverage you need. Contact our dedicated insurance agents at Box Insurance Agency. We would like to serve your insurance needs as your Insurance Company in Grapevine and will provide a free quote.