Summer is a time for families to go on vacation, of family reunions, picnics in the park, and Fourth of July fireworks and grilling. Unfortunately, summer also brings the risk of fire and injury due to outdoor cooking and fireworks. In the following, we provide fire prevention tips to assist you in having a happy and safe summer. Contact Box Insurance for a quote when comparing costs among the best home insurance companies in Dallas.
Preparing your family in the event of a fire greatly increases the odds of a safe escape. Use the following as a basic guideline:
- Identify two ways out of each room, and ensure each window opens easily.
- Establish a meeting place for the family a safe distance from the home.
- Fire drills aren’t just for school. You should have a plan for your family and your home. When your family is well prepared, there will be less panic if a fire occurs. Furthermore, practice your plan until every family member knows the drill.
- Three out of five households own gas grills, and gas grills are responsible for a higher number of home fires than their charcoal counterparts are. Grills should be located at least 5 feet from the home.
- On Independence Day in an average year, fireworks account for two out of five reported fires. Use fireworks carefully and under diligent adult supervision!
Preparing your home begins with functional smoke detectors. Help make your family safe with the following tips:
- Install smoke detectors on every floor of your home. Test smoke alarms once a month, and change the batteries every six months. Remember, smoke detectors may help to lower your insurance rate. For more information, contact our insurance agents. For more than 90 years, Box Insurance Agency customers have considered it one of the best home insurance companies in Dallas.
- Provide fire extinguishers in your home, and instruct each family member in its use. In addition, include fire extinguisher operation in your routine family fire drills. Remember, fire officials recommend you spray at the base of a fire. Fire extinguishers may reduce your policy rates from one of the area’s best home insurance companies in Dallas.
Home Insurance Policy
A home insurance policy pays to repair or rebuild your home. The first step in obtaining home insurance is ensuring you have adequate coverage. Next, is the decision of whether or not to have replacement coverage, which will replace your home. The value of replacement coverage is realized when you rebuild and find the home you built for a cost of $70,000 twenty years ago, will cost $150,000 to replace. If you’re shopping among the best home insurance companies in Dallas for a homeowner’s insurance policy, contact a Box Insurance agent today.
Other Structures Coverage pays to repair or rebuild structures not attached to your home. Other structures can include a storage building, pool house or other structures. If you have other structures, ensure they also have adequate coverage. If you require assistance, talk to an agent from one of the area’s best home insurance companies in Dallas.
Loss of use coverage will help pay the expenses you incur from an incident such as a fire. For example, this coverage can assist you in the cost of renting another property while repairs or rebuilding is provided.
Personal Property coverage reimburses you for the loss of personal items in your home. Replacement cost insurance is also available for your personal property.
Prepare an Inventory List
In the event of a claim, it is essential to have a home inventory list of all personal property, with its purchase price. Furthermore, save receipts and take photographs. In addition, you may need specialty insurance for jewelry, collectibles, antiques, or other valuable items. In addition, it’s important to maintain a copy of your inventory list in a location outside of your home. House fires can exceed the tolerance limits of any fireproof safe.
For questions regarding homeowner’s insurance, or fire prevention tips, contact Box Insurance Agency. For over 90 years, we have provided our clients with personalized attention, the benefit of industry expertise, and superior service. Our dedication to our clients is why we are considered among the best home insurance companies in Dallas. Give us a call for your insurance needs, and have a safe and happy summer!